A Perth man who allegedly threw a homemade bomb into a crowd of protesters at an Invasion Day rally in the CBD has been identified for the first time after a suppression order on his identity was lifted.
Liam Alexander Hall, 32, is accused of making and throwing the device – which had allegedly been designed to detonate – from a terrace balcony into a crowd in Forrest Place as they marched to protest the date of Australia Day.
It took authorities nine days to determine whether to charge Hall with engaging in a terrorist act – the first charge of its kind laid in Western Australian history.
Hall’s lawyer Simon Freitag appeared in Perth Magistrates Court on Tuesday on his behalf and said his client was aware of the new offence.
Hall was excused from attending due to medical issues.
Hall’s identity was initially suppressed by the court due to concerns for his safety behind bars at Hakea Prison, and based on the fact he was experiencing mental health issues.
However, federal prosecutors and WA Police opposed the suppression order continuing, arguing Hall’s safety had been managed well behind bars.
“There’s a risk of misidentification of the accused,” prosecutor Kirsten Nelson said.
“I’ve been instructed there has been one instance on Facebook where someone has been misidentified as the accused.”
Three lawyers for various media outlets also argued against the suppression order, and said suppressing Hall’s identity could potentially lead to “speculation, rumour and collateral harm”.
However, Freitag argued the suppression order should continue, and now also apply to the new terror charge.
He said Hall was still at risk in custody, the extent of his vulnerability was not yet known, and there was no public benefit for people to know which prison Hall was in.
Freitag also argued releasing Hall’s name could put his family at risk.
“I assume the media will want to get hold of his family and interview them and take photos from the front of his house,” he said.
Magistrate Lynette Dias ultimately decided to lift the suppression order and said she was confident the man’s safety was being well looked after in prison, and WA Police had taken steps to protect the family.
Authorities earlier this month charged hall with one count of engaging in a terrorist act.
“This is the first time this charge has been laid in Western Australia,” Premier Roger Cook said at the time.
“This charge … alleges the attack on Aboriginal people and other peaceful protesters was motivated by hateful, racist ideology.”
WA Police Commissioner Col Blanch said Hall’s internet history allegedly revealed he had “self-radicalised” online and accessed “pro-white material”.
The device allegedly contained ball bearings and contained screws wrapped around an unknown liquid in a glass container that had been designed to detonate in what WA Police Minister Reece Whitby said could have been a “mass casualty” event.
Start the day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.
From our partners
Read the full article here
