A woman has allegedly been assaulted on her morning walk in Brisbane’s west, before she escaped along a creek to call for help.
The woman, said to be in her 20s, was walking near Moggill Creek in Brookfield at about 6.30 on Thursday morning when police said she was assaulted by a man.
The incident occurred in an area near a bridge on Brookfield Road, close to the Brookfield Showgrounds.
A 32-year-old man was taken into custody not far from the bridge on Thursday, but no charges had been laid as of 6pm.
Detective Superintendent Andrew Massingham said the woman fought to escape her attacker.
“She was a determined young lady that knew what was occurring to her was horrific, she knew help was some distance away, but she was very lucky to make it through up an adjoining creek up towards the showgrounds at Brookfield where she called for assistance and that assistance was provided very quickly,” he said.
There was a heavy police presence at a scene near the bridge throughout Thursday, which drew significant interest from the local community.
A vehicle had been taken by police as part of the investigation, but Massingham said it was important the details not be publicised.
“There is a vehicle of interest that was identified by our victim, at this time the description of that vehicle must be kept confidential so as not to contaminate any evidence, we may receive as part of broader appeal this evening for any suspicious activity,” Massingham said at a press conference on Thursday evening.
“I know this incident has shocked not only the local community but also the wider Brisbane region.”
He said detectives from the Ferny Grove Child Protection Unit, forensic and specialist officers have been on the scene.
He said police would continue to talk to the community around the scene on Thursday night, and predicted police would have spoken to more than 100 people by morning.
He appealed for anyone who was in the Brookfield area between around the time of the alleged assault to get in touch with police.
“It is imperative that any person in that area between 5.30am and 7.30am comes forward with any information relating to any suspicious activity or any dashcam that they may have of that general area,” he said.
Massingham said investigators would continue to work in the area throughout Friday.
“I have requested assistance this evening from the dive squad and some additional forensic evidence that we require tonight, so that area will certainly be at certain parts of the day tomorrow, locked down,” he said.
An investigation command centre had been established in Ferny Grove, Massingham said, adding a mobile beat would be set up at the showgrounds.
Start the day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.
From our partners
Read the full article here
