The number of concerts allowed at Suncorp Stadium each year is set to increase by 75 per cent, leading to more big-ticket events at the 52,500-seat inner-city venue.
But a win for music fans is a potential loss for Brisbane Roar, which expects to be squeezed out of its home ground more often by larger-drawing events on an increasingly congested stadium calendar.
The previous Labor government doubled the concert quota from six to 12 in 2024. On Wednesday, the Crisafulli government went nine better, raising the annual limit to 21.
Earlier this month, the Roar had to switch its upcoming February 28 match against Perth Glory to Redcliffe’s Kayo Stadium, with less than three weeks’ notice.
That was due to concerns about how the pitch would recover from last weekend’s Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo and three upcoming Ed Sheeran shows, something the stadium addressed at the time of the announcement.
“While the venue has complete confidence that the field will be ready for the Queensland Reds v Highlanders match, they understand from previous feedback that the cosmetic appearance and reduction in grass coverage resulting from extended flooring coverage can impact A-League matches more than other football codes,” a stadium spokesperson said.
“The Suncorp Stadium grounds team is one of the best in the world and, as they have proved time and time again, will have the field ready for the Reds match on Friday [February 27].”
Being squeezed out of Suncorp has been a common tale for Brisbane Roar, which has often had to make in-season scheduling changes since its return to Brisbane from Redcliffe. The club even missed out on a home Australia Cup final in 2023 due to a lack of ground availability.
The Roar, which is negotiating a new venue-hire agreement with Suncorp Stadium, declined to comment on the policy shift.
However, it was anticipated that alternative venues would need to be found next season when concerts clashed with the A-League season.
The Super Rugby season also overlaps with the peak concert period, but the Queensland Reds have no intention of moving games out of Suncorp Stadium.
Sports Minister Tim Mander said the increase in concerts was in response to strong demand for more major acts to come to Brisbane.
“Queensland’s ability to host world-class events shows exactly why we are increasingly becoming the home of major sports and events in Australia,” he said.
“By temporarily lifting the concert cap, we can secure more global tours, support local jobs, and strengthen Brisbane’s reputation as a world-class events destination as we build toward the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
“We’ll continue to work closely with the local community to ensure residents are informed about additional events in 2026.”
Questions to Mander about alternative venues for the Roar, and the government’s progress on a previously announced planned upgrade of a potential alternative venue at Perry Park, were directed to Deputy Premier Jarrod Bleijie’s office.
No response had been received at the time of publication.
Start the day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.
From our partners
Read the full article here















