Close Menu
  • US
  • World
    • Canada
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • South America
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Finance
    • Investing
    • Markets
    • Economy
    • Small Business
    • Crypto
  • Money
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Videos
  • Topics
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Tech
    • Travel
  • More Articles
Trending Now
The Girls’ Nicole Williams English Sets the Record Straight on Her Marriage to Larry English (Exclusive)

The Girls’ Nicole Williams English Sets the Record Straight on Her Marriage to Larry English (Exclusive)

August 22, 2026
Southern California hits ICE with ‘dumbfounding’ roadblock as top lawmaker rips ‘reckless’ hypocrisy

Southern California hits ICE with ‘dumbfounding’ roadblock as top lawmaker rips ‘reckless’ hypocrisy

August 22, 2026
Parents of Pennsylvania soccer player Karoline Heintz speak out after daughter was allegedly killed by boyfriend: ‘Worst nightmare’

Parents of Pennsylvania soccer player Karoline Heintz speak out after daughter was allegedly killed by boyfriend: ‘Worst nightmare’

August 22, 2026
Exclusive | The Battle of Brooklyn is back! Rev War re-enactors swarm NYC streets for 250th anniversary: ‘My musket is the joy of my life’

Exclusive | The Battle of Brooklyn is back! Rev War re-enactors swarm NYC streets for 250th anniversary: ‘My musket is the joy of my life’

August 22, 2026
Are Witkoff and Kushner likely to make their first visit to Ukraine?

Are Witkoff and Kushner likely to make their first visit to Ukraine?

August 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Just In
  • The Girls’ Nicole Williams English Sets the Record Straight on Her Marriage to Larry English (Exclusive)
  • Southern California hits ICE with ‘dumbfounding’ roadblock as top lawmaker rips ‘reckless’ hypocrisy
  • Parents of Pennsylvania soccer player Karoline Heintz speak out after daughter was allegedly killed by boyfriend: ‘Worst nightmare’
  • Exclusive | The Battle of Brooklyn is back! Rev War re-enactors swarm NYC streets for 250th anniversary: ‘My musket is the joy of my life’
  • Are Witkoff and Kushner likely to make their first visit to Ukraine?
  • Why I’ll be supporting the team at the SCG on Sunday
  • Leslie Mann and Anna Faris Flaunt Their Toned Bikini Bodies With ‘Spa Weekend’ Costars in Dance Clip
  • Supreme Court allows Trump’s White House ballroom construction to continue for now
  • Privacy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Pure Info NewsPure Info News
Newsletter
  • US
  • World
    • Canada
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • South America
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Finance
    • Investing
    • Markets
    • Economy
    • Small Business
    • Crypto
  • Money
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Videos
  • Topics
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Tech
    • Travel
  • More Articles
 Markets Login
Pure Info NewsPure Info News
Home » US-Canada trade negotiations suspended, Carney vows dollar-for-dollar retaliation against Trump’s 50% tariffs
Business

US-Canada trade negotiations suspended, Carney vows dollar-for-dollar retaliation against Trump’s 50% tariffs

News RoomNews RoomAugust 22, 2026No Comments
Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email
US-Canada trade negotiations suspended, Carney vows dollar-for-dollar retaliation against Trump’s 50% tariffs

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations with the United States late Friday, blaming “unfair” last-minute changes to Washington’s proposed terms and announcing retaliatory tariffs against the U.S.

Carney said the move comes as President Donald Trump’s 50% tariffs on roughly $28 billion in Canadian goods were set to take effect at midnight.

The breakdown came just days after Trump paused the duties for three days and announced that the U.S. and Canada, subject to final documentation, had reached a “DEAL!”

While Carney said progress had been made in recent weeks toward improving Canada’s position and reaching an agreement with the U.S., he said the two sides ultimately could not finalize a deal.

TRUMP PAUSES 50% TARIFFS ON CANADA HOURS BEFORE DEADLINE AFTER ANNOUNCING POTENTIAL DEAL

“However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians,” Carney said in a statement.

“As a result, this evening, I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa,” he continued. “They have worked hard, in good faith, to defend the interests of Canadians throughout these negotiations up until the very last minute. However, last-minute changes in the U.S. proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal.”

The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) offered a sharply different account of the breakdown, saying Canada declined to finalize terms that had been agreed to earlier in the week.

“Tonight, Canada declined to finalize the trade deal under the terms agreed earlier this week,” USTR Jamieson Greer said in a statement. “Despite the U.S. offer to Canada to receive the best treatment of any major exporter to our market, new demands and walk backs of other commitments by Canada have upended the careful balance reached in the past days.”

Greer said the U.S. had offered Canada significant tariff reductions on steel, aluminum, autos and lumber, along with a broader economic and national security partnership covering areas including digital trade, critical minerals, aerospace and export controls.

“This is a missed opportunity for Canada to partner with the United States, which is the fastest growing economy in the G7,” Greer said.

Carney said Canada would retaliate by matching the U.S. tariffs.

US, CANADA STRIKE DEAL TO OPEN BRIDGE LINKING DETROIT AND WINDSOR AFTER DISPUTE DELAYED LAUNCH

President Donald Trump meets with Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney at the G7 summit in Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada, on June 16, 2025.

“At midnight tonight, the U.S. intends to impose a 50% tariff on roughly $28 billion of Canadian goods. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses,” he said.

“In the coming days, the government will introduce additional measures to support Canadian workers and businesses, building on the nearly $25 billion in support provided over the past 18 months,” Carney added.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Donald Trump and Mark Carney

Trump said late Tuesday that he was pausing the new tariffs on Canadian goods that were originally scheduled to take effect Wednesday.

The duties would have covered roughly $20 billion in Canadian imports, including liquor, dairy products, vehicles, hockey equipment and other goods. Certain food products, wearables, synthetic materials and industrial goods were also expected to be affected.

The Trump administration announced the tariffs on certain Canadian imports in June, citing what officials described as trade “discrimination” against American businesses.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram WhatsApp Email

Related News

E coli and salmonella outbreak linked to alfalfa sprouts sickens dozens across multiple states

E coli and salmonella outbreak linked to alfalfa sprouts sickens dozens across multiple states

Trump allows 300,000 metric tons of tariff-free beef imports in bid to cut prices, drawing rancher backlash

Trump allows 300,000 metric tons of tariff-free beef imports in bid to cut prices, drawing rancher backlash

TikTok agrees to pay 0 million to settle Justice Department children’s privacy case

TikTok agrees to pay $400 million to settle Justice Department children’s privacy case

Nearly 40,000 bottles of eye drops recalled nationwide over possible contamination

Nearly 40,000 bottles of eye drops recalled nationwide over possible contamination

Dave Portnoy backs Pizza Hut rebrand as ‘brilliant move’ — then makes his pitch

Dave Portnoy backs Pizza Hut rebrand as ‘brilliant move’ — then makes his pitch

California helicopter maker lands major Army training deal, could support hundreds of US jobs

California helicopter maker lands major Army training deal, could support hundreds of US jobs

Top JPMorgan Chase exec warns regulatory proposal could squeeze credit for millions of small businesses

Top JPMorgan Chase exec warns regulatory proposal could squeeze credit for millions of small businesses

Trump administration takes steps to chip away at American Bar Association’s power to accredit law schools

Trump administration takes steps to chip away at American Bar Association’s power to accredit law schools

Trump says any governor or mayor should want to welcome an AI data center

Trump says any governor or mayor should want to welcome an AI data center

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Southern California hits ICE with ‘dumbfounding’ roadblock as top lawmaker rips ‘reckless’ hypocrisy

Southern California hits ICE with ‘dumbfounding’ roadblock as top lawmaker rips ‘reckless’ hypocrisy

August 22, 2026
Parents of Pennsylvania soccer player Karoline Heintz speak out after daughter was allegedly killed by boyfriend: ‘Worst nightmare’

Parents of Pennsylvania soccer player Karoline Heintz speak out after daughter was allegedly killed by boyfriend: ‘Worst nightmare’

August 22, 2026
Exclusive | The Battle of Brooklyn is back! Rev War re-enactors swarm NYC streets for 250th anniversary: ‘My musket is the joy of my life’

Exclusive | The Battle of Brooklyn is back! Rev War re-enactors swarm NYC streets for 250th anniversary: ‘My musket is the joy of my life’

August 22, 2026
Are Witkoff and Kushner likely to make their first visit to Ukraine?

Are Witkoff and Kushner likely to make their first visit to Ukraine?

August 22, 2026
Why I’ll be supporting the team at the SCG on Sunday

Why I’ll be supporting the team at the SCG on Sunday

August 22, 2026

Latest News

Leslie Mann and Anna Faris Flaunt Their Toned Bikini Bodies With ‘Spa Weekend’ Costars in Dance Clip

Leslie Mann and Anna Faris Flaunt Their Toned Bikini Bodies With ‘Spa Weekend’ Costars in Dance Clip

August 22, 2026
Supreme Court allows Trump’s White House ballroom construction to continue for now

Supreme Court allows Trump’s White House ballroom construction to continue for now

August 22, 2026
US-Canada trade negotiations suspended, Carney vows dollar-for-dollar retaliation against Trump’s 50% tariffs

US-Canada trade negotiations suspended, Carney vows dollar-for-dollar retaliation against Trump’s 50% tariffs

August 22, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest US news and updates directly to your inbox.

Advertisement
Demo
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
2026 © Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Press Release
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Lost password?