Close Menu
  • US
  • World
    • Canada
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • South America
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Finance
    • Investing
    • Markets
    • Economy
    • Small Business
    • Crypto
  • Money
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Videos
  • Topics
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Tech
    • Travel
  • More Articles
Trending Now
Slow Food founder Carlo Petrini dies aged 76

Slow Food founder Carlo Petrini dies aged 76

May 23, 2026
Saskatchewan’s hospital safety review expected to cost  million

Saskatchewan’s hospital safety review expected to cost $1 million

May 23, 2026
Government will need to tread carefully through budget storm

Government will need to tread carefully through budget storm

May 23, 2026
William Daniels’ Wife Bonnie Bartlett Recall How ‘Boy Meets World’ Cast Had ‘Problems’ on Set

William Daniels’ Wife Bonnie Bartlett Recall How ‘Boy Meets World’ Cast Had ‘Problems’ on Set

May 23, 2026
Rhode Island teen already out on bail for weapons charge arrested in crowded beach stabbing

Rhode Island teen already out on bail for weapons charge arrested in crowded beach stabbing

May 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Just In
  • Slow Food founder Carlo Petrini dies aged 76
  • Saskatchewan’s hospital safety review expected to cost $1 million
  • Government will need to tread carefully through budget storm
  • William Daniels’ Wife Bonnie Bartlett Recall How ‘Boy Meets World’ Cast Had ‘Problems’ on Set
  • Rhode Island teen already out on bail for weapons charge arrested in crowded beach stabbing
  • Military families demand DOJ distribute nearly $800M from French cement company found guilty of bribing ISIS
  • Trump calls Kyle Busch a ‘LEGEND’ in Truth Social tribute after NASCAR champion’s death at 41
  • Hunter Biden claims Israeli intelligence is behind corruption allegations against him and Joe
  • Privacy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Pure Info NewsPure Info News
Newsletter
  • US
  • World
    • Canada
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • South America
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Finance
    • Investing
    • Markets
    • Economy
    • Small Business
    • Crypto
  • Money
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Videos
  • Topics
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Tech
    • Travel
  • More Articles
 Markets Login
Pure Info NewsPure Info News
Home » Fact-check: ‘Claqueurs’ not paid to back Merkel at European Parliament
Europe

Fact-check: ‘Claqueurs’ not paid to back Merkel at European Parliament

News RoomNews RoomMay 22, 2026No Comments
Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email
Fact-check: ‘Claqueurs’ not paid to back Merkel at European Parliament

Several MEPs and social media users have falsely claimed that “claqueurs” were brought in to support Germany’s former Chancellor Angela Merkel, as she received the European Order of Merit award at the European Parliament in Strasbourg on 19 May.

This newly created prize aims to honour individuals who have contributed to “European integration”, along with the values enshrined in the EU treaties, according to the European Parliament.

But several MEPs alleged that the additional non-MEP attendees in the chamber were “extras”, “random types” or “claqueurs”, while others suggested the applause had been staged while Merkel received the “European Order of Merit.”

For instance, German MEP Tomasz Froelich, an AfD member part of the Europe of Sovereign Nations Group, said in a post shared on 19 May that “claqueurs” were “placed in the seats of our deputies, against all parliamentary customs. Madness!”

What really happened?

Footage from the ceremony shows that seats typically occupied by the far-right Patriots for Europe group remained largely empty for parts of the event — due to a boycott by a number of MEPs.

Members of Italy’s populist right-wing Lega party said they instead joined a demonstration organised by Italian farmers against the Mercosur trade agreement.

Others, including Finnish MEP Sebastian Tynkkynen — from the European Conservatives and Reformists Group (ECR) — said they left the chamber in protest. Taking to X, he claimed that “the EU machinery started bringing random types to the seats of the elected politicians”, in a post shared on 19 May.

However, claims that the European Parliament hired “claqueurs” or brought in “random people” to applaud Merkel are false.

A spokesperson for the European Parliament told Euronews that the plenary sitting had been officially suspended for the duration of the ceremony – meaning that guests, including laureates, family members and staff who were involved in organising the event, were allowed to enter the chamber.

The parliament also said that, as is customary during such events, MEPs who wished to attend maintained priority seating in the room.

European Parliament President Roberta Metsola later repeated this explanation in the following plenary session, telling the crowd.

“Yesterday, you were aware that the session was suspended by agreement for the duration of the Order of Merit Conferral Ceremony,” she said. “This allowed for guests to enter the Chamber, including the laureates, who would have otherwise not been allowed to come in, their families and some staff members who worked on the event.”

There is therefore no evidence that non-MEP attendees were planted attendees or instructed to stage applause for Merkel, with the online claims misrepresenting standard arrangements during a suspended parliamentary sitting.

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram WhatsApp Email

Related News

Slow Food founder Carlo Petrini dies aged 76

Slow Food founder Carlo Petrini dies aged 76

The shocking case of the abandoned children: what we know

The shocking case of the abandoned children: what we know

EU clinches new trade deal with Mexico to bolster foothold in region

EU clinches new trade deal with Mexico to bolster foothold in region

Lukashenka offers to meet Zelenskyy amid new Russian offensive threat

Lukashenka offers to meet Zelenskyy amid new Russian offensive threat

Zelenskyy invited to July’s NATO summit in Ankara, Rutte confirms

Zelenskyy invited to July’s NATO summit in Ankara, Rutte confirms

Do not get 100% of supply from one country, EU industry chief says

Do not get 100% of supply from one country, EU industry chief says

Can France’s Canal+ legally blacklist stars for criticising owner?

Can France’s Canal+ legally blacklist stars for criticising owner?

UK police open to probe Mountbatten-Windsor sexual misconduct claim

UK police open to probe Mountbatten-Windsor sexual misconduct claim

EU leaves door open to sanctioning Patriarch Kirill, but not yet

EU leaves door open to sanctioning Patriarch Kirill, but not yet

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Saskatchewan’s hospital safety review expected to cost  million

Saskatchewan’s hospital safety review expected to cost $1 million

May 23, 2026
Government will need to tread carefully through budget storm

Government will need to tread carefully through budget storm

May 23, 2026
William Daniels’ Wife Bonnie Bartlett Recall How ‘Boy Meets World’ Cast Had ‘Problems’ on Set

William Daniels’ Wife Bonnie Bartlett Recall How ‘Boy Meets World’ Cast Had ‘Problems’ on Set

May 23, 2026
Rhode Island teen already out on bail for weapons charge arrested in crowded beach stabbing

Rhode Island teen already out on bail for weapons charge arrested in crowded beach stabbing

May 23, 2026
Military families demand DOJ distribute nearly 0M from French cement company found guilty of bribing ISIS

Military families demand DOJ distribute nearly $800M from French cement company found guilty of bribing ISIS

May 23, 2026

Latest News

Trump calls Kyle Busch a ‘LEGEND’ in Truth Social tribute after NASCAR champion’s death at 41

Trump calls Kyle Busch a ‘LEGEND’ in Truth Social tribute after NASCAR champion’s death at 41

May 23, 2026
Hunter Biden claims Israeli intelligence is behind corruption allegations against him and Joe

Hunter Biden claims Israeli intelligence is behind corruption allegations against him and Joe

May 23, 2026
How leaks, demands and a phone call derailed Estée Lauder’s deal to create a B luxe giant

How leaks, demands and a phone call derailed Estée Lauder’s deal to create a $40B luxe giant

May 23, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest US news and updates directly to your inbox.

Advertisement
Demo
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
2026 © Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Press Release
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Lost password?