Close Menu
  • US
  • World
    • Canada
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • South America
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Finance
    • Investing
    • Markets
    • Economy
    • Small Business
    • Crypto
  • Money
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Videos
  • Topics
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Tech
    • Travel
  • More Articles
Trending Now
AEU members accept government offer to end year-long negotiations and cancel planned strike

AEU members accept government offer to end year-long negotiations and cancel planned strike

August 17, 2026
Every Star Who Attended Knicks Champ Karl Anthony-Towns and Jordyn Woods’ Malibu Wedding

Every Star Who Attended Knicks Champ Karl Anthony-Towns and Jordyn Woods’ Malibu Wedding

August 17, 2026
NYPD officers fatally shoot man armed with butcher knife after he advanced toward cops: police

NYPD officers fatally shoot man armed with butcher knife after he advanced toward cops: police

August 17, 2026
Hayden Panettiere, star of ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dead at 36

Hayden Panettiere, star of ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dead at 36

August 17, 2026
Fitz the grizzly bear briefly escapes his enclosure at the Calgary Zoo

Fitz the grizzly bear briefly escapes his enclosure at the Calgary Zoo

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Just In
  • AEU members accept government offer to end year-long negotiations and cancel planned strike
  • Every Star Who Attended Knicks Champ Karl Anthony-Towns and Jordyn Woods’ Malibu Wedding
  • NYPD officers fatally shoot man armed with butcher knife after he advanced toward cops: police
  • Hayden Panettiere, star of ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dead at 36
  • Fitz the grizzly bear briefly escapes his enclosure at the Calgary Zoo
  • Convicted rapist Ralph Carr unrecognisable at Melbourne court appearance
  • Jordyn Woods and Husband Karl-Anthony Towns’ Relationship Timeline
  • Von Miller signs with Cowboys in homecoming move for 2-time Super Bowl champion: ‘Let’s make this one special’
  • Privacy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Pure Info NewsPure Info News
Newsletter
  • US
  • World
    • Canada
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • South America
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Finance
    • Investing
    • Markets
    • Economy
    • Small Business
    • Crypto
  • Money
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Videos
  • Topics
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Tech
    • Travel
  • More Articles
 Markets Login
Pure Info NewsPure Info News
Home » Inner West Council error cost developer $800,000
Australia

Inner West Council error cost developer $800,000

News RoomNews RoomAugust 17, 2026No Comments
Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email
Inner West Council error cost developer 0,000

August 17, 2026 — 11:30am

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

An inner west property owner says an error by his local council has left him facing financial ruin after he purchased a historic Newtown electricity substation that was incorrectly listed in official planning documents as free from heritage constraints.

When Peter Mistrevski bought the decommissioned 1931 brick substation on Probert Street in July last year, he believed he had found a rare foothold in Sydney’s property market and an opportunity to convert the site into two homes, living in one and selling the other.

Peter Mistrevski, pictured outside the substation in Newtown.Sam Mooy

Before committing to the purchase, Mistrevski obtained a planning certificate from Inner West Council in March 2025 stating the property was not a heritage item, was not within a heritage conservation area and could be redeveloped under the complying development pathway, avoiding the need for a full development application.

He said he relied on that certificate, seen by this publication, having it reviewed by his lawyer, architect and town planner as part of his pre-purchase due diligence. He bought the property for $2.1 million at auction.

“I got all the right advice. The planning certificate showed it wasn’t heritage, my town planner and architect looked at it, so I was full steam ahead,” Mistrevski said.

But shortly after dotted lines on contracts were signed, a second planning certificate issued by the council in October 2025 identified the property as a heritage-listed building located within a heritage conservation area that could not be redesigned or developed under the same complying development pathway Mistrevski had planned to pursue.

Mistrevski bought the property in July last year.Sam Mooy

The listing effectively halted the proposed development and plunged the site into planning and legal uncertainty which Mistrevski says is now costing him $12,000 a month in holding fees, while an independent valuation has put the property at $1.3 million – $800,000 below what he paid.

“The council made a massive mistake on an official document which I relied on to buy the property,” he said.

“I’m now unable to touch the property, modify it, I can’t live in it. It’s sending me bankrupt and [every] dollar I make is going towards the mortgage to keep the bank from repossessing it.

“I tried to make lemonade and I’ve been left with a lemon.”

The interior of the building. Sam Mooy

The dispute is particularly fraught due to the former utility building’s history, with records showing it was constructed in 1931 during a period when substations were built across Sydney to power homes and businesses as the city grew.

In recent years, decommissioned substations have attracted renewed interest from buyers seeking redevelopment opportunities in land-constrained parts of the city, with some small sites selling for more than $2 million despite the planning complexities they can present.

Mistrevski said the heritage listing forced him to redesign his original proposal. A development application lodged at the council in March now proposes retaining the existing substation and constructing a two-storey home behind it.

But he said heritage restrictions had significantly increased costs, with planning and development expenses rising from about $50,000 to $150,000 because of the need to engage specialist heritage consultants on the revised plans.

A concept image of Mistrevski’s current development plan for the site which proposes a two-storey home at the rear of the property.

The application has also undergone multiple revisions in response to council concerns over the scale and bulk of the proposals and its impact on the character of the substation. More than a year after the purchase, the council has yet to determine the application.

The dispute has escalated into a compensation claim against the council, with Mistrevski’s lawyers alleging the incorrect planning certificate caused substantial financial losses, including the reduction in the property’s value and lost development opportunities.

An Inner West Council spokesman said it could not comment on the planning certificate because the matter was subject to legal proceedings.

“The development application is currently being assessed and all normal processes are being followed,” he said.

Mistrevski outside the substation which dates back to 1931.Sam Mooy

“More broadly, council is committed to balancing housing needs with protecting heritage.”

Mistrevski said the 12-month ordeal had exposed the risks buyers face when relying on official planning information and argued purchasers should be able to have confidence in the accuracy of council-issued documents before committing to major property purchases.

“Buying a home is the biggest financial commitment most people will ever make and I feel like I’m being punished for a mistake I didn’t make,” he said. “All I’m asking for is a fair go.”

Be the first to know when major news happens. Sign up for breaking news alerts on email or turn on notifications in the app.

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

David BarwellDavid Barwell is an urban affairs reporter for The Sydney Morning HeraldConnect via email.

From our partners

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram WhatsApp Email

Related News

AEU members accept government offer to end year-long negotiations and cancel planned strike

AEU members accept government offer to end year-long negotiations and cancel planned strike

Convicted rapist Ralph Carr unrecognisable at Melbourne court appearance

Convicted rapist Ralph Carr unrecognisable at Melbourne court appearance

Dockers keep setting records while Eagles stumble after early blitz

Dockers keep setting records while Eagles stumble after early blitz

Elderly woman sexually assaulted inside her Claremont home

Elderly woman sexually assaulted inside her Claremont home

‘Complainant C’ evidence continues in former 2GB broadcaster’s alleged indecent assault, sexual touching trial

‘Complainant C’ evidence continues in former 2GB broadcaster’s alleged indecent assault, sexual touching trial

Clive Palmer a surprise guest at Nationals gala dinner

Clive Palmer a surprise guest at Nationals gala dinner

Labor marked down on migration; Hanson ramps up fight against gun buyback scheme

Labor marked down on migration; Hanson ramps up fight against gun buyback scheme

Surge in demand leaves passengers waiting during commuter rush hours

Surge in demand leaves passengers waiting during commuter rush hours

How much the top 1 per cent earn in every suburb revealed

How much the top 1 per cent earn in every suburb revealed

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Every Star Who Attended Knicks Champ Karl Anthony-Towns and Jordyn Woods’ Malibu Wedding

Every Star Who Attended Knicks Champ Karl Anthony-Towns and Jordyn Woods’ Malibu Wedding

August 17, 2026
NYPD officers fatally shoot man armed with butcher knife after he advanced toward cops: police

NYPD officers fatally shoot man armed with butcher knife after he advanced toward cops: police

August 17, 2026
Hayden Panettiere, star of ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dead at 36

Hayden Panettiere, star of ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dead at 36

August 17, 2026
Fitz the grizzly bear briefly escapes his enclosure at the Calgary Zoo

Fitz the grizzly bear briefly escapes his enclosure at the Calgary Zoo

August 17, 2026
Convicted rapist Ralph Carr unrecognisable at Melbourne court appearance

Convicted rapist Ralph Carr unrecognisable at Melbourne court appearance

August 17, 2026

Latest News

Jordyn Woods and Husband Karl-Anthony Towns’ Relationship Timeline

Jordyn Woods and Husband Karl-Anthony Towns’ Relationship Timeline

August 17, 2026
Von Miller signs with Cowboys in homecoming move for 2-time Super Bowl champion: ‘Let’s make this one special’

Von Miller signs with Cowboys in homecoming move for 2-time Super Bowl champion: ‘Let’s make this one special’

August 17, 2026
Massive tooth of 3.6M-year-old megalodon — largest shark to ever live — discovered on Jersey Shore

Massive tooth of 3.6M-year-old megalodon — largest shark to ever live — discovered on Jersey Shore

August 17, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest US news and updates directly to your inbox.

Advertisement
Demo
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
2026 © Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Press Release
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Lost password?