Mark Latham’s ex-partner has at the last minute dropped an application for an AVO over his alleged sustained abuse, including emotional, psychological and financial manipulation.
As a three-day hearing was about to start on Wednesday, Nathalie Matthews’ lawyer told the Downing Centre Local Court the application had been dismissed, scrapping the proceedings.
The pair, who dated for two years before a fiery break-up, were due to air their grievances after Matthews brought the AVO case in a private capacity. It was an uncommon step as personal violence orders are usually litigated by NSW Police.
The embattled NSW upper house independent MP denied the allegations and was never criminally charged.
Last July, Matthews’ lawyers filed documents claiming Latham pressured her into sex with other people and depraved acts. He allegedly “caused a bruise” when he drove his car at her and the side mirror hit her.
Matthews alleged Latham’s parliamentary office was used to film sex tapes, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the now-discontinued accusations against the MP.
This masthead does not suggest the claims were true, only that Matthews, 38, filed them in court.
Outside court, Latham last year told media the AVO application was “an outrageous abuse of the legal system”. Neither he nor Matthews were required to appear on Wednesday.
Matthews’ decision was the latest U-turn in the long-running saga, made nearly seven months after Latham claimed on social media that the AVO application had been withdrawn.
“I was due in the Sydney Local Court tomorrow for the latest instalment in the private AVO application against me,” Latham posted on X at the time.
“But it has now been delisted and the application withdrawn. Agreed undertakings have been arrived at. That’s the end of that. Thank you for your attention to this matter.”
Sources with knowledge of the case, who asked not to be named so they could speak freely about the matter, told the Herald at the time that the MP had agreed not to post about Matthews online. Matthews also wanted an assurance that he would not speak about her in parliament.
However, the case made another backflip in December when Matthews’ lawyers said negotiations had been unsuccessful and the hearing would proceed.
The exact circumstances underpinning Wednesday’s reversal were not detailed in court and no documents were publicly released. Speaking outside court, Latham’s lawyer Zali Burrows told journalists it was a good result to have the matter resolved.
Matthews was due to call one witness, while Latham had planned to call two witnesses and play video evidence to defend the AVO.
He had also sought a later-abandoned subpoena for WiseTech Global founder Richard White.
In yet another twist, Matthews last week denied receiving insider trading tips and a $145,000 payment from the controversial billionaire, in a right of reply tabled in parliament.
The right of reply came in response to incendiary claims by Latham under parliamentary privilege which referred to White as Matthews’ “new pay-for-sex friend”.
Latham claimed in parliament that the software mogul had paid her $145,000 and funded her travel to London to stay with him at a Notting Hill hotel, while providing her with food, clothing and a return trip to Paris.
In her reply, Matthews declared the statement false and defamatory, claiming she never had sexual relations with White and that she paid for the flights.
She also denied punching Latham in the head during a “zombie-like drunken and drugged attack”.
Adding to the ordeal, Matthews was arrested at Sydney Airport in October on an outstanding arrest warrant for revenge porn charges against a person named in court documents as “Witness two”, whom the Herald has chosen not to name.
She spent a night in the cells before being released on bail. Matthews has pleaded not guilty, and the case remains before the courts.
As for Latham, controversy has followed him beyond his romantic past.
Last month, he was ordered to pay fellow NSW MP Alex Greenwich $100,000 in compensation after a Sydney tribunal found that several of his tweets and quotes amounted to unlawful homosexual vilification and sexual harassment.
Greenwich launched the court action after Latham made a graphic tweet about the Sydney MP in 2023.
The Federal Court previously found the tweet defamed Greenwich. Latham is appealing the decision, and Greenwich is cross-appealing for increased damages.
In another recent scandal, Latham apologised for photographing female MPs without their knowledge.
Latham has served as a right-wing independent MP since 2023, when a falling out with Senator Pauline Hanson led to his departure as One Nation NSW leader.
He led the populist party’s return to state politics in 2019, 15 years after his failed attempt to lead Labor to federal election victory.
After losing to incumbent prime minister John Howard in 2004, he resigned from federal parliament and was later ejected from the Labor Party.
With AAP
Start the day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.
From our partners
Read the full article here















