Close Menu
  • US
  • World
    • Canada
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • South America
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Finance
    • Investing
    • Markets
    • Economy
    • Small Business
    • Crypto
  • Money
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Videos
  • Topics
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Tech
    • Travel
  • More Articles
Trending Now
U.S. says it’s pausing long-standing military board with Canada

U.S. says it’s pausing long-standing military board with Canada

May 18, 2026
Suburbs with zero long-term rentals as holiday stays outnumber homes for locals

Suburbs with zero long-term rentals as holiday stays outnumber homes for locals

May 18, 2026
This Easy Denim Shirtdress From Nordstrom Instantly Solves the ‘Nothing to Wear’ Dilemma

This Easy Denim Shirtdress From Nordstrom Instantly Solves the ‘Nothing to Wear’ Dilemma

May 18, 2026
11 National Park Service workers evacuated by helicopter amid California fire

11 National Park Service workers evacuated by helicopter amid California fire

May 18, 2026
Swing-seat Republican sidelined by ‘serious’ illness misses 88 votes as majority hangs by thread

Swing-seat Republican sidelined by ‘serious’ illness misses 88 votes as majority hangs by thread

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Just In
  • U.S. says it’s pausing long-standing military board with Canada
  • Suburbs with zero long-term rentals as holiday stays outnumber homes for locals
  • This Easy Denim Shirtdress From Nordstrom Instantly Solves the ‘Nothing to Wear’ Dilemma
  • 11 National Park Service workers evacuated by helicopter amid California fire
  • Swing-seat Republican sidelined by ‘serious’ illness misses 88 votes as majority hangs by thread
  • NextEra bets $66.8B on AI power boom with Dominion Energy acquisition
  • Grizzlies forward Brandon Clarke’s fiancée shares heartbreaking tribute to player after his death
  • US, Nigeria strike ISIS fighters again from the air after killing senior leader
  • Privacy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Pure Info NewsPure Info News
Newsletter
  • US
  • World
    • Canada
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • South America
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Finance
    • Investing
    • Markets
    • Economy
    • Small Business
    • Crypto
  • Money
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Videos
  • Topics
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Tech
    • Travel
  • More Articles
 Markets Login
Pure Info NewsPure Info News
Home » Sunwater chair Jeff Seeney and former deputy premier spinner Jane Paterson reunite around regional water cooler
Australia

Sunwater chair Jeff Seeney and former deputy premier spinner Jane Paterson reunite around regional water cooler

News RoomNews RoomMay 18, 2026No Comments
Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email
Sunwater chair Jeff Seeney and former deputy premier spinner Jane Paterson reunite around regional water cooler

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

Welcome to Brisbane Times’ Queensland public sector column, Public Circus. This week: a former deputy premier and chief spinner reunite, a council U-turn on e-bikes, arts funding funny business, and QPAC board curiosities.

In early April, just one month before the departure of Sunwater chief executive Glenn Stockton and a bizarre, publicly-aired board position at odds with government policy, there was a new addition to the state-owned regional water manager’s team.

The appointment? A new executive general manager for corporate affairs, Jane Paterson. It’s a bit of a full-circle moment, given Paterson previously ran media for then deputy premier Jeff Seeney – now chair of the Sunwater board.

Former deputy premier Jeff Seeney has landed two plum gigs under his former colleagues in the Crisafulli government, on the boards of state-owned Sunwater (as chair) and CS Energy (as deputy chair). Glenn Hunt

Circus hears Seeney has been ruffling feathers in his approach to the role, and his deputy chair posting over at state-owned power generator CS Energy, which itself recently lost a chief executive in similarly surprising circumstances.

Paterson, whose time beyond Seeney’s deputy premier digs includes corporate affairs and stakeholder relations roles at Meat and Livestock Australia and Peabody Energy, appears to have filled the (renamed) shoes of former exec Cameron Milliner, who left his post in September.

In response to a series of questions, a Sunwater spinner said Paterson was appointed on April 7 after an external, merit-based process following state-owned corporation policy.

The quirk, however, is the fact Seeney is said to have played no role “due to a declared conflict of interest in line with an established conflict of interest management plan”.

“The process was facilitated by an executive recruitment firm, and the position was advertised across print media,” the company spokesperson said.

But wait… Seeney had no role because of a declared conflict and already established management plan? We had some more questions about the timeline there, which were summarily knocked back.

Related Article

Queensland Treasury is looking to fill an executive role focused on “financial efficiencies”, as the Crisafulli government chases

Instead, we were told to refer to the previous statement. Circus has also been told multiple candidates had previous working relationships with Seeney. Hmm.

To any Sunwater or CS Energy folks reading this: the Circus tent is always open wide.

We make no suggestion of wrongdoing by either Paterson or Seeney.

Council chief’s office seeks (late) qualification of e-bike crackdown concern

The Gold Coast joined thousands of people making submissions opposing a crackdown on low-powered legal e-bikes, but it turns out that position was never formally endorsed by the council.

The City of Gold Coast highlighted issues with licensing requirements, age limits and a 10km/h footpath speed in a submission dated April 10, and signed by infrastructure operations general manager Duncan Greeney, for the council’s chief executive.

Lime bikes on the Gold Coast in 2023Dan Peled / Brisbane Times

“The primary safety issue is the reckless operation of high-speed e-motorbikes on paths and in open space areas – not pedal e-bikes,” the submission read.

On April 24, two experts from the Gold Coast’s transport operations team appeared before a parliamentary committee hearing, highlighting issues with the bill.

But now the council has written to the committee to say the submission was prepared by city officers and “reflects a technical and operational perspective”.

“It was not formally endorsed as a position of council,” the letter says.

That letter, dated May 12, was written by Alton Twine, who coincidentally is a former Bicycle Queensland boss, but is now working as the general manager for the office of Gold Coast council chief Tim Baker.

A council spokeswoman told Circus the letter was simply clarifying the position presented at the hearing was based on the opinion of the city’s road safety experts.

Related Article

People riding e-bikes in Queensland would be limited to 10km/h on all shared paths and foopaths, required to hold a driver’s licence and under-16s would be banned, under the Queensland government’s bill.

“[It was] not a resolution of the council and if they [the committee] wished to engage with the organisation or the elected representatives for a variety of views we would be open to it,” she said.

However, it’s a bit late to hear what Gold Coast councillors think, as the committee published its report on May 8 recommending several changes in a partial watering-down of the bill.

For what it’s worth, Brisbane and Logan councils also raised concerns.

In City Hall last week, Brisbane’s biohacking Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner said the council’s position was made clear, in writing, in response to a question from Greens councillor Trina Massey who asked if he opposed the state government’s proposal.

And, somewhat cheekily, Schrinner said he stood “in solidarity with our comrades from the BUG (bicycle user group) groups and cyclists in wanting to get the right outcome here”.

Schrinner’s newfound fondness for the BUGs comes after he accused members of being mouthpieces for the Greens two years ago, in comments that one volunteer said were “incredibly offensive”.

The government is yet to formally respond to the committee’s recommendations, but Transport Minister Brent Mickelberg said he looked forward to introducing “nation-leading reforms”.

Arts Queensland’s quick change to funding rules after slogan banned

Circus readers would be well aware of the Crisafulli government’s controversial crackdown on two Palestinian protest slogans in laws passed back in early March.

Arts Queensland under long-term Newman-era appointee, deputy director-general Kirsten Herring, acted quickly. By the end of the month, it had updated eligibility criteria on at least one major events funding program.

Protesters taking part in the March for Palestine in Brisbane in August, attended by tens of thousands of peopleWilliam Davis

Archived versions of the Touring Queensland Fund shows a new “community expectations relating to Queensland Government funding” subheading was added to the guidelines on March 26.

This identical segment is now also attached to the Queensland Major Commissioning Fund, the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Arts Development Fund and Queensland Arts Project Fund – that is, all previously, currently or to-be-open funding programs since the passage of the laws.

The section notes the laws’ focus on “terrorist symbols and phrases” and says the agency won’t support applicants or activities not representing an “appropriate use of public money”.

“This could include promoting behaviour or speech that is hateful, insulting or that promotes racism or religious intolerance, or that is contrary to Anti-Discrimination or hate speech laws,” the criteria states.

Related Article

Brisbane artist James Hillier, who uses the moniker “Nordacious”, has pulled items from his online store featuring variations on the pro-Palestinian phrase “from the river to the sea”.

“Arts Queensland will also consider any financial and operational risks in allocating funding and managing funding agreements. To undertake these due diligence processes, Arts Queensland will consider publicly available information.”

In other words, don’t even think about applying for funding if you’ve been posting anything online which could find you at odds with the new laws – laws that have been wielded quite widely.

But don’t worry. The criteria state the government acknowledges “the unique role the arts can play in considering different points of view, the exchange of ideas and commentary on contemporary issues”.

This shift follows the March-published review by Australian Catholic University chancellor Martin Daubney AM KC of the State Library’s black&write! fellowship saga, which saw the library stripped of the Queensland Literary Awards and told to tighten up its policies.

At the time, Arts Minister John-Paul Langbroek noted the review had “more broadly” highlighted the need for government-funded arts and cultural organisations to consider policies to ensure they “are consistent with and meet the expectations of the Crisafulli government”.

We reached out to the agency to ask if the change was of its own initiative, or at the behest of Langbroek. The four-sentence response from a spokesperson – a work of art in its own right – left us none the wiser.

Legal dramas and conflict related-resignations for QPAC board directors

On a not unrelated note, this week sees the beginning of a three-week unfair dismissal case brought by concert pianist Jayson Gillham, whose Melbourne Symphony Orchestra concert was cancelled over his on-stage comments about Gaza.

Why is this relevant to Queensland, you may ask? Well, that saga led to the sacking of former orchestra managing director Sophie Galaise – who Langbroek made a Queensland Performing Arts Centre (QPAC) board director in October.

Having returned to her home country of Canada, Galaise has been described as a critical witness in the case, though “unlikely to be a willing” one, as Federal Court Justice Debra Mortimer has noted. Galaise has denied liability and the orchestra is defending the matter.

Pianist Jayson Gillham and former MSO managing director Sophie Galaise.Simon Schluter, Laura Manariti

Her Queensland theatre venue board chair, former LNP MP and arts minister Ian Walker, has told the Australian Financial Review’s Rear Window column that any issues arising from Galaise’s involvement in the court case would be dealt with by a “robust conflicts of interest policy”.

By happenstance, trudging through the QPAC website in this context has revealed the departure of one of Langbroek’s other October appointees: Rod Pilbeam, a founding partner of the Australian venue management behemoth AEG Ogden, now part of the Legends Global group.

Pilbeam, also chair of the Queensland Symphony Orchestra and the grandson of controversial state Liberal MP Rex Pilbeam – or “Tyrannosaurus Rex” – dropped off the QPAC website some time between December and late February.

Related Article

[Clockwise from top left] Former Queensland state LNP government figures Mark Robinson, Ian Walker, Denver Beanland, Lachlan Millar and Michael Hart, along with former federal LNP senator Joanna Lindgren, are among the several party figures now serving on government-appointed boards.

In response to Circus’ questions, a QPAC spokesperson said the disappearance of Pilbeam related to his “several significant professional and financial interests relevant to QPAC’s operating environment”.

While these were fully disclosed after his appointment, and initially managed through the board’s governance processes, things got a tad unwieldy.

“It became clear that the scale and ongoing nature of the conflicts would continue to require extensive management measures and recusal from substantial parts of board business,” the spokesperson said.

“After careful consideration, and acknowledging the advice received regarding governance risk and the integrity of board decision-making,  Rod chose to tender his resignation.”

Langbroek’s office suggested the resignation was a matter for Pilbeam. Given this isn’t the first time existing conflicts have caused problems for new board picks, Circus isn’t sure the government can brush off questions about its appointment processes so easily.

Have a curiosity for the Public Circus tent? Email us on m.dennien@nine.com.au or james.hall@nine.com.au. For more security, sing out with a non-work device and network via Signal (@mattdennien.15 or this link) and mattdennien@protonmail.com.

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

Matt DennienMatt Dennien is a reporter at Brisbane Times covering state politics, parliament and the public sector. He has previously worked for newspapers in Tasmania and Brisbane community radio station 4ZZZ. Contact him securely on Signal @mattdennien.15Connect via email.

From our partners

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram WhatsApp Email

Related News

Suburbs with zero long-term rentals as holiday stays outnumber homes for locals

Suburbs with zero long-term rentals as holiday stays outnumber homes for locals

Plans to fix dangerous ‘weak link’ on cycling route revealed

Plans to fix dangerous ‘weak link’ on cycling route revealed

Brisbane nightclub Fridays Riverside to close doors after 40 years

Brisbane nightclub Fridays Riverside to close doors after 40 years

Mother and two children killed in alleged DV attack in south-west Sydney home

Mother and two children killed in alleged DV attack in south-west Sydney home

Rental company fined .5 million for ‘systematic’ law breaches affecting elderly tenants

Rental company fined $1.5 million for ‘systematic’ law breaches affecting elderly tenants

WA Police assistant commissioner accused of stalking colleague

WA Police assistant commissioner accused of stalking colleague

Neo-Nazi National Socialist Network launches High Court fight against hate speech laws

Neo-Nazi National Socialist Network launches High Court fight against hate speech laws

Former Parramatta Council boss Gail Connolly exhibited ‘paranoia’ about information leaking, ICAC hears

Former Parramatta Council boss Gail Connolly exhibited ‘paranoia’ about information leaking, ICAC hears

Inquest begins into scaffolding collapse at soccer field that crushed father Andy Jones

Inquest begins into scaffolding collapse at soccer field that crushed father Andy Jones

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Suburbs with zero long-term rentals as holiday stays outnumber homes for locals

Suburbs with zero long-term rentals as holiday stays outnumber homes for locals

May 18, 2026
This Easy Denim Shirtdress From Nordstrom Instantly Solves the ‘Nothing to Wear’ Dilemma

This Easy Denim Shirtdress From Nordstrom Instantly Solves the ‘Nothing to Wear’ Dilemma

May 18, 2026
11 National Park Service workers evacuated by helicopter amid California fire

11 National Park Service workers evacuated by helicopter amid California fire

May 18, 2026
Swing-seat Republican sidelined by ‘serious’ illness misses 88 votes as majority hangs by thread

Swing-seat Republican sidelined by ‘serious’ illness misses 88 votes as majority hangs by thread

May 18, 2026
NextEra bets .8B on AI power boom with Dominion Energy acquisition

NextEra bets $66.8B on AI power boom with Dominion Energy acquisition

May 18, 2026

Latest News

Grizzlies forward Brandon Clarke’s fiancée shares heartbreaking tribute to player after his death

Grizzlies forward Brandon Clarke’s fiancée shares heartbreaking tribute to player after his death

May 18, 2026
US, Nigeria strike ISIS fighters again from the air after killing senior leader

US, Nigeria strike ISIS fighters again from the air after killing senior leader

May 18, 2026
Meta employee gets dark about horror of working there as jobs bloodbath looms: ‘I tend to cry in the shower’

Meta employee gets dark about horror of working there as jobs bloodbath looms: ‘I tend to cry in the shower’

May 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest US news and updates directly to your inbox.

Advertisement
Demo
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
2026 © Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Press Release
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Lost password?