Close Menu
  • US
  • World
    • Canada
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • South America
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Finance
    • Investing
    • Markets
    • Economy
    • Small Business
    • Crypto
  • Money
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Videos
  • Topics
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Tech
    • Travel
  • More Articles
Trending Now
‘Teen takeover’ devolves into wild brawl inside DC Chipotle — as feds promise to charge ignorant parents

‘Teen takeover’ devolves into wild brawl inside DC Chipotle — as feds promise to charge ignorant parents

May 18, 2026
Inquest begins into scaffolding collapse at soccer field that crushed father Andy Jones

Inquest begins into scaffolding collapse at soccer field that crushed father Andy Jones

May 18, 2026
ACM Awards 2026 Hottest Couples: See Thomas Rhett, Wife Lauren Akins and More Country Music Duos

ACM Awards 2026 Hottest Couples: See Thomas Rhett, Wife Lauren Akins and More Country Music Duos

May 18, 2026
Arkansas man allegedly threatened Walmart mass shooting over hantavirus lockdown fears, authorities say

Arkansas man allegedly threatened Walmart mass shooting over hantavirus lockdown fears, authorities say

May 18, 2026
Chicago pastor gathers hundreds of men to declare violence-free zone in notorious neighborhood

Chicago pastor gathers hundreds of men to declare violence-free zone in notorious neighborhood

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Just In
  • ‘Teen takeover’ devolves into wild brawl inside DC Chipotle — as feds promise to charge ignorant parents
  • Inquest begins into scaffolding collapse at soccer field that crushed father Andy Jones
  • ACM Awards 2026 Hottest Couples: See Thomas Rhett, Wife Lauren Akins and More Country Music Duos
  • Arkansas man allegedly threatened Walmart mass shooting over hantavirus lockdown fears, authorities say
  • Chicago pastor gathers hundreds of men to declare violence-free zone in notorious neighborhood
  • The world’s best destinations for ‘dusking’ trips
  • Perth man Steven Mattaboni killed while spearfishing at Horseshoe Reef
  • Kelsea Ballerini Steals the Show in Ethereal Gown at 2026 ACM Awards After Chase Stokes Reunion
  • Privacy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Pure Info NewsPure Info News
Newsletter
  • US
  • World
    • Canada
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • South America
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Finance
    • Investing
    • Markets
    • Economy
    • Small Business
    • Crypto
  • Money
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Videos
  • Topics
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Tech
    • Travel
  • More Articles
 Markets Login
Pure Info NewsPure Info News
Home » Terrorism scenario excluded following Modena car attack
Europe

Terrorism scenario excluded following Modena car attack

News RoomNews RoomMay 17, 2026No Comments
Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email
Terrorism scenario excluded following Modena car attack

Investigators have ruled out that terrorism was at play after a man drove a car into crowd in the Italian city of Modena on Saturday, injuring eight people.

The driver, a 31-year-old Italian man of Moroccan heritage, hit several people before crashing into a shop window, colliding head-on with a woman. Four people were in critical condition following the incident, authorities said.

The driver, an economics graduate born in 1995 who was not known to the police, went through a spell of “psychological disturbance” in 2022, city prefect Fabrizia Triolo said at a news conference on Saturday.

“He was under treatment in our mental health centres in 2022 because he had problems with schizoid illness, after which he disappeared from the radar and unfortunately reappeared in this form today in a dramatic and unfortunate way,” said the mayor of Modena, Massimo Mezzetti.

His home near Modena has been searched but sources quoted in Italian media said the investigation so far has shown no sign of the man’s radicalisation.

Several injured in critical condition

Among those injured were two foreign citizens: a German tourist on holiday in Italy and a Polish woman. The patients were transported to various hospitals in Emilia Romagna.

A 55-year-old woman, who was crushed against a shop window, is hospitalised at the Ospedale Maggiore in Bologna. The patient’s life is in danger and her legs were amputated.

In the same hospital, a 52-year-old man is in intensive care. A second injured man who was run over by the car also had his lower limbs amputated.

A 53-year-old woman and a 69-year-old woman were instead admitted to Baggiovara Hospital in Modena. In the same facility is a 69-year-old man, whose condition is judged to be less serious.

A 27-year-old girl, a 71-year-old woman and a 47-year-old man were hospitalised at the Policlinico di Modena: they suffered minor injuries and are not in a serious condition.

Pedestrians helped with arrest

Immediately after crashing into the shop window, the driver, identified as Salim El Koudri, abandoned the car and attempted to escape on foot.

The suspect tried to flee the scene but was chased and cornered by four passers-by, then pulled a knife and injured one of them.

Although the 31-year-old was armed with a knife with a 20-centimetre blade, the group managed to immobilise and contain him until the police arrived, to whom he was then handed over.

The Modena Public Prosecutor’s Office formalised the arrest of the attacker on heavy charges of massacre and injuries aggravated by the use of a weapon.

Prime Minister and President visit Modena

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni and President Sergio Mattarella visited Modena on Sunday.

Meloni had quickly condemned the attack on social media and contacted the victims. She wrote on X that the incident was “extremely serious”.

“I would also like to express my thanks to the citizens who courageously intervened to detain the perpetrator, as well as to the law enforcement officers for their response,” she added.

“I trust that the person responsible will answer to the full for his actions,” Meloni added.

Some far-right politicians quickly seized on the incident as a justification for further tightening controls on immigration, even though the alleged perpetrator is an Italian citizen.

The League party, a member of Meloni’s governing coalition, said the incident showed the need for legislation to revoke residency permits for immigrants when they commit crimes.

League leader Matteo Salvini attempted to emphasise the nationality of origin of the attacker, calling the 31-year-old ‘a second-generation criminal’.

But the city’s mayor Mezzetti pointed out that two Egyptian nationals had helped stop the knife-wielding driver when he tried to run.

The city’s mayor said Modena should “unite against those who want to divide and sow hatred” and called for a gathering in the city centre later on Sunday for a “collective embrace”.

“At the moment I see so much looting on social media and elsewhere, and I want to invite you once again to reflect on the fact that foreigners are not all similar to those who committed this act, there are many honest ones who serve our community,” he added.

The imam of Ravarino, Abdelmajid Abouelala, speaking to the Gazzetta di Modena, said he had never met El Koudri.

“I do, however, know his father well. All I can say about him is that he is a good person, as is the rest of the family. A hard worker, the kind who makes home, work, home. An educated person who I have never heard bad things about”.

“We are really upset by what happened, ours is a small community, we all know each other. I have also asked friends and volunteers: no one knows Salim,” the local Islamic community contact person later said.

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram WhatsApp Email

Related News

Wes Streeting calls Brexit a ‘catastrophic mistake’

Wes Streeting calls Brexit a ‘catastrophic mistake’

Several injured after car ploughs into crowd in Italy’s Modena

Several injured after car ploughs into crowd in Italy’s Modena

Twelve thieves who terrorised tourists in Spain held in Italy

Twelve thieves who terrorised tourists in Spain held in Italy

Indian PM Modi begins tour of Europe in the Netherlands

Indian PM Modi begins tour of Europe in the Netherlands

Whale Timmy is dead, GPS tracker confirms identity

Whale Timmy is dead, GPS tracker confirms identity

Lampedusa migrant landing: newborn dies, probe opened

Lampedusa migrant landing: newborn dies, probe opened

French investigating judge to probe 2018 killing of Jamal Khashoggi

French investigating judge to probe 2018 killing of Jamal Khashoggi

Key moments shaking the final stretch of Andalusia’s campaign

Key moments shaking the final stretch of Andalusia’s campaign

How to get Euronews displayed as a favourite source on Google

How to get Euronews displayed as a favourite source on Google

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Inquest begins into scaffolding collapse at soccer field that crushed father Andy Jones

Inquest begins into scaffolding collapse at soccer field that crushed father Andy Jones

May 18, 2026
ACM Awards 2026 Hottest Couples: See Thomas Rhett, Wife Lauren Akins and More Country Music Duos

ACM Awards 2026 Hottest Couples: See Thomas Rhett, Wife Lauren Akins and More Country Music Duos

May 18, 2026
Arkansas man allegedly threatened Walmart mass shooting over hantavirus lockdown fears, authorities say

Arkansas man allegedly threatened Walmart mass shooting over hantavirus lockdown fears, authorities say

May 18, 2026
Chicago pastor gathers hundreds of men to declare violence-free zone in notorious neighborhood

Chicago pastor gathers hundreds of men to declare violence-free zone in notorious neighborhood

May 18, 2026
The world’s best destinations for ‘dusking’ trips

The world’s best destinations for ‘dusking’ trips

May 18, 2026

Latest News

Perth man Steven Mattaboni killed while spearfishing at Horseshoe Reef

Perth man Steven Mattaboni killed while spearfishing at Horseshoe Reef

May 18, 2026
Kelsea Ballerini Steals the Show in Ethereal Gown at 2026 ACM Awards After Chase Stokes Reunion

Kelsea Ballerini Steals the Show in Ethereal Gown at 2026 ACM Awards After Chase Stokes Reunion

May 18, 2026
At least 6 Americans in Congo exposed to terrifying Ebola virus strain with 25-50% death rate: report

At least 6 Americans in Congo exposed to terrifying Ebola virus strain with 25-50% death rate: report

May 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest US news and updates directly to your inbox.

Advertisement
Demo
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
2026 © Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Press Release
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Lost password?