Updated ,first published
Teenage offenders involved in the city’s “bar wars” appear to have been coached by those who hire them on how to minimise their crimes if they come before the justice system, according to police sources.
The revelation comes as a children’s courtroom was evacuated on Friday when a 16-year-old accused of torching a liquor warehouse and CBD nightclub Bar Bambi refused to leave the dock after learning he would not be granted bail.
The teen, known to the court as HA, started sobbing in the dock and resisting restraints after learning he would return to youth detention for another week as the court awaited further assessments.
Soon after learning his bail application had been adjourned, HA began yelling, demanding to know why his co-accused had been released.
Four teenagers were charged with the arson of liquor warehouse for the brand 80 Proof on May 7. Two who pleaded guilty received youth supervision orders instead of jail terms on Thursday. The third, known as JA, was released on bail on Friday.
HA refused to be escorted out by the officers by his sides, pushing them as he resisted their restraints. The courtroom, filled with lawyers, journalists, youth justice workers and the accused’s family, was evacuated as officers rushed in to restrain the 16-year-old.
His lawyer told the court earlier in the hearing that HA, who had never been in custody before, had found his time in youth detention deeply distressing.
“I never want to be back here. I never want to be in a place where I walk by people are trying to spit on me,” HA allegedly told his lawyer.
On April 23, police allege, four teenagers broke into the 80 Proof liquor distribution centre in Keysborough and burnt the warehouse to the ground. The damage bill is estimated at more than $1.5 million.
Police say the attack was filmed by JA, which sources say is a requirement for getting paid by those who ordered the attacks.
The company, which sells fruit-flavoured liqueur shots, is linked to nightclub promoters who are among those in Melbourne’s nightlife scene targeted for more than two months by a series of more than 40 arson attacks, shootings, kidnappings and home invasions.
More than 50 low-level offenders have been arrested as part of the police operation combating the violence, known as Operation Eclipse. The vast majority of them have been teenagers and no kingpins have yet been caught, police sources say.
An Iraqi gang has been recruiting children to commit firebombings, shootings, home invasions and kidnappings via encrypted apps, police believe, with the teenage offenders unaware of who is pulling their strings.
Police sources say the attackers are being prepped by the local organisers of the attacks on how to answer questions and provide cover stories that minimise their responsibility when captured by authorities.
Police summaries link an unknown offender known only as “Iceman” as the orchestrator of the Bar Bambi arson on April 18 and the 80 Proof firebombing.
It is alleged Iceman organised the hits with the teenagers using a group chat on encrypted messaging app Signal titled “Jobs”.
Police say Iceman contacted HA to carry out the Bar Bambi arson via encrypted app Signal, paying the teen $4000 to carry out the attack with three other offenders. CCTV captured two young offenders filling up two jerry cans, of 10 litres and 1.25 litres, before driving away in a stolen Audi.
Then, on April 23, acting on Iceman’s instructions to “smash everything” and set the building alight, HA and three other teenagers drove to the Keysborough warehouse in a stolen Range Rover fitted with cloned plates organised by the unknown instructor, the court heard.
CCTV footage later captured three hooded figures smashing windows while carrying jerry cans of fuel, while the teenager known as JA filmed using a mobile phone, according to police.
Two videos capturing the attack were sent to Iceman, police say.
JA later sent voice recordings to an associate, the court heard, in which he said he had been paid $1000 for filming the arson.
“I didn’t even do anything, [the co-accused] got [$3000]. I was the cameraman because you have to film for the boss,” he is alleged to have said.
80 Proof owners and nightlife personalities Danny Grant and George Grigoriadis expressed outrage that the two arsonists who were convicted on Thursday escaped jail time.
“The arson destroyed a multimillion-dollar building and over $1 million worth of stock,” they said in a statement. “As a direct result, eight people lost their jobs and the livelihoods of another 15 people (many with families) have been severely impacted.”
The crime of arson is not among the list of offences warranting “adult time for violent crime” that was a signature component of the Allan government youth crime crackdown.
Victorian Chamber of Commerce and Industry acting chief executive Amelia Bitsis has demanded more action from authorities, saying the unprecedented violence was costing some businesses as much as $100,000.
“After more than 40 attacks on businesses since February, this issue now demands an urgent, co-ordinated response from all levels of leadership and enforcement.
“Victoria Police, Fire Rescue Victoria, the courts, government and industry leaders must come together immediately to address this crisis.”
With Chris Vedelago
Start the day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.
From our partners
Read the full article here















