Seven Herald reporters have been nominated as finalists for this year’s Mid-Year Walkley Prizes for journalism spanning investigations, crime, education, health, the arts and local government affairs, the highest of any masthead in Australia.
Education reporter Emily Kowal has been nominated in the short-form journalism category for her exposé on the digital predators within artificial intelligence and Roblox, as has crime reporter Riley Walter for his Penthouse Syndicate investigation.
Walter has also been nominated in the specialist and beat reporting category for a collection of stories spanning the Penthouse Syndicate, the Bondi massacre, and the maritime and border bungle that allowed a tonne of cocaine to be imported into Australia.
Also in the specialist category is the Herald’s former health reporter, Angus Thomson, for a series of stories about delayed cancer diagnoses at Westmead Hospital, and investigating revealing financial misconduct at a taxpayer-funded NSW health charity, as well as an opinion piece on the Albanese government’s urgent care clinics.
Parramatta bureau chief Anthony Segaert has been nominated in the public service journalism category for a series of stories exposing the ructions inside Parramatta Council.
Herald health editor Kate Aubusson, reporter Emily Kaine and Age investigative reporter Aisha Dow’s “Medical Misogyny” investigation – which uncovered a series of disturbing cases where women said they had been disbelieved, misdiagnosed or wrongly admitted to hospital – has been nominated in the Women’s Leadership in Media Prize, six months after the investigation won the specialist beat prize at the 70th Walkley Awards.
Arts writer Linda Morris is in the running for the arts journalism and arts criticism prize, behind her “For art’s sake” entry.
Photographer Audrey Richardson has been nominated for the visual storytelling prize for work published before joining the Herald.
The masthead’s sister publication The Age won three nominations.
Herald editor Jordan Baker said the masthead was enormously proud of its nominees.
“We are also grateful to our subscribers, whose support ensures our journalists can continue their important work,” she said.
Kowal, Walter, Thomson and Segaert are all also eligible for the John B Fairfax Family Young Australian Journalist of the Year Awards, the winner of which will receive a professional development trip to the UK or the US.
The winners of the Mid-Year Walkleys will be announced in Sydney on June 18, ahead of the annual Walkley Awards announced in November.
The Morning Edition newsletter is our guide to the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up here.
From our partners
Read the full article here















